first_imgCharlie Gard battled for 12 minutes after his life support was removed before dying, his parents have revealed.Chris Gard and Connie Yates have said their baby lived for twice the predicted time after his ventilator was disconnected and that they subsequently took him home in a specially chilled cot.The couple described their devastation at being denied the chance of a few days’ “tranquility” at home with their son before he died, but said it “felt perfectly natural” to take Charlie home with them after his death. The High Court rejected a legal attempt to take the incurably ill child home from Great Ormond Street Hospital, and he spent his final hours in a hospice instead.Charlie was taken out for a walk in a pushchair in the hospice grounds and had plaster of Paris moulds taken of his feet and hands before staff removed life support. “Charlie opened his eyes and looked at us one last time and closed them before he passed away,” Ms Yates said. “We were warned it might take five or six minutes for him to die. Chris Gard and Connie Yates failed to persuade a court that their son Charlie should die at homeCredit:AFP The child was still warm as he was carried through the couple’s front door, his mother said.“Once home, it was lovely to sit and watch him, lying there like any other baby, not surrounded by equipment and machinery, without anything obscuring his lovely face, to just see Charlie, at home, sleeping in his cot where he should be,” Ms Yates told the Daily Mail. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Chris Gard and Connie Yates at the High Court We were warned it might take five or six minutes for him to dieConnie Yates “But it took 12 minutes until his heart stopped beating.”The parents revealed they were not allowed in the ambulance with their son on his trip from Great Ormond Street, but added they were grateful to the staff at the NHS hospital for the quality of their care.last_img